23 August 2007

Smelly Cork

Woke @ 6am to catch the 7am bus. Found a wonderful “cool dork” for Ang on the ride in. Sorry, Ang – I tried to get a pic, but he was always in front of me! Sigh I will try harder next time! ☺

I LOVE CORK!

Okay – I am not a fan of the humidity. Or the random scent of urine as I pass empty doorways… but other than that…

It has all of the culture and shopping of Dublin with sidewalks that are about 3 times wider and gardai that look older than 10! ☺

The city centre is entirely surrounded by canals or rivers, which makes it pretty cool (humid, but interesting), and a lot of the architecture/heat/humidity reminded me of a more-spread-out Charleston. There were great shops – some of which I recognized, like Body Shop and HMV!

Stopped in at the Cork Vision Centre. No – it’s not an eyecare place… it’s an old cathedral (suprisesurprise!) that houses art/photo/sculpture shows. The current show is the 2007 photography awards. I SO enjoyed myself!

Today, Ky & I also learned that Cobh *the place where Moores and Hingstons emigrated to North America from* is pronounced “cove” – with good reason: that’s exactly what it is! Our hope is to take a bus to Cobh tomorrow (24th) if there’s time after our hop-on-hop-off tour and check out the heritage museum to see if we can find any record of these travels… we’ll see!

Met our roomies Chiana (an Italian international studies student) and 3 California girls. We have plans to head out to a pub (our 1st one yet) for a while this evening (23rd).

3 comments:

  1. sigh, cool dorks, oh how I love thee! Was he like Reid cool, or Greg cool, or the other guy from CSI: NY cool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the other guy from CSI cool... blonde, same glasses, similar walk, dressed like him... I was very impressed with my 'cool dork' sensors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice... hopefully you'll see him again. I have trained you well.

    ReplyDelete