08 January 2009

what a nice moment :)

so I was working on a call for papers at New Year's camp in North Battleford for a couple afternoons. I worked in the dining hall, where most people were hanging out if they weren't outside playing hockey or on the ski hill... and bro Hinchliff rolls up to me in his wheelchair and asks to look at my computer. He was admiring how thin it is... He told me how his old laptop had just recently died and that he was looking at buying a new one because he used it a lot to email and he liked how laptops fit into his briefcase & he could take it places.

so he was asking what mine did - what kind it was, what all the slots & plugins were on the sides - and i showed him my webcam. I went into photo booth and took the attached photo... thought I would share:


I sent him on to Dell instead of trying to sell him on Macs because he's been using a PC for forEVER and I was confused enough when I first started using my Mac. Not saying he's not smart enough to figure it out, mind you! Just saying a Dell can do what he needs without much adjustment...

3 comments:

  1. Steph, that was awesome. Uncle Allen is one of the good guys in this life. I didn't know he was still doing emails so I will write him now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dell. Mac. Whatever.

    If you're gonna' survive in this complex world, you have to be computer-bilingual.

    But you're right; at his age, it would be easier to stick with what he knows. Unless he's really eager to learn.

    You can teach old dogs new tricks -- it just takes a little longer. Trust me; I'm even older than The Blog Fodder. And I think that retirement is when you get a new set of Michelins.

    ReplyDelete