06 January 2009

why I love him...

no, not MG. Even though I'd be lying if I said I didn't love MG... in a stalker, living in my head sort of way... but this post is about Tom. I love this man for so many reasons - as a lecturer/supervisor, of COURSE!

He is that 'cool' prof who is more likely to swagger into a room than walk. He wears black t-shirts - with sleeves that allow his tattoo to peek out every once in a while - and jeans. His gray hair is overshadowed by the earrings, and his attitude of "don't make life harder than it has to be" comes across in his knowing grin and the way he crosses his arms across his chest when he's engaged in conversation - not the self-protective "stay out of my personal space" arm-crossing, but the relaxed, easy-going "let's chat" arm-crossing.

He's big in his field. Really big. And you wouldn't know it until you found the book(s?) in which he's published with Jameson, Lacan &/or Sartre... and you knew how big THOSE guys are... this guy knows what he's talking about. But he makes room for the opinions of others. He's done his homework, and could preach at a class for hours if he wanted, but he opens the door for new ideas and encourages freedom of thought. He engages in the education of his students, himself and the world - by being less critical and more openminded; by listening and offering suggestions; by guiding rather than instructing.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, here's a little article I found on the website for The Society for Utopian Studies, enjoy!*:

Lyman Tower Sargent Award for Distinguished Scholarship has been presented to:

2008
Tom Moylan

Tom Moylan is honored for his groundbreaking books and leadership in the field of Utopian Studies. In Demand the Impossible, he formulated the concept of the critical utopia and identified the key group of four novels that are still central to any discussion of 1970s utopianism. By bringing critical theory to bear on utopian fictions, he made it possible to conceive of how texts can be ironic and self-reflexive, yet still carry political force. Scraps of the Untainted Sky performed similarly significant work by theorizing the critical dystopia. In addition to these foundational books, the Society honors Professor Moylan's contributions in article-length works on topics ranging from liberation theology to his recent work with Irish music. Equally important is his work as an editor, including the collection of essays on Bloch that Professor Moylan edited with Jamie Daniel, the Jameson special issue of Utopian Studies, and volumes edited with Raffaella Baccolini and with Michael Griffin, collections well-known for bringing together people working in disparate areas of utopian studies. Professor Moylan's formative and energetic work with the Ralahine Centre for Utopian Studies at the University of Limerick has created a remarkable forum for global and interdisciplinary scholarship. In the words of Professor Naomi Jacobs: "Through his tireless work to organize lecture series colloquia and conferences, as well as through his own scholarship, [Tom Moylan’s] influence on the field has been 'incalculably diffusive' (to steal a phrase from George Eliot)."



* now I have to go look up "diffusive"...

3 comments:

  1. He was your prof? What a glorious opportunity for you. Wonderful.

    And I am glad you are still speaking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, Tom was not only my prof, but my supervisor, so I got to work with him pretty closely, woot! definitely one of the good guys...

    and of COURSE I'm still speaking to you! if you weren't sarcastic, I'd assume the girls were adopted. (I would mention your son, too, but he and I have spoken twice - I think - so I can't really judge him.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children are not sarcastic. They are diplomatically challenged

    ReplyDelete