11 March 2008

just in case

Just in case anyone thought I was exaggerating about the psychotic gale-force winds I mentioned earlier this year, tonight's wind is averaging around 74km/hr (45mph). A friend of mine was walking home from work (we live in the same village), in the rain, and when she reached the end of the bridge, the wind pushed her over the edge and she slid down the bank - but just a little, and she didn't fall on her butt - but STILL, wind that can knock a full-grown person over... I was not exaggerating. She had to stand still and brace herself against the wind for a minute & wait for it to change directions before she could continue walking.

Why is this not mentioned in books? Okay - so sometimes it is. When the people are on a coastline and its a "brisk wind". Well, let me tell you... I have heard the Irish use the phrase "brisk" with this kind of wind here... and it's not what you're 'tinking'. It is seriously like SK in the winter mixed with NC hurricanes. :)

I guess that's why they never write about it... it is pretty indescribable... just trust me, I guess! Love you all ~

1 comment:

  1. Walkers, watch your step. I regularly scan The Irish Times and saw this today:

    "Walkers were advised to stay away from cliffs, beaches and other exposed coastal areas."

    Now that's a gale.

    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0312/breaking11.html?via=mr

    ReplyDelete