05 November 2007

Copy of an email to Ky:

Subject: You know what's great?


Actually having a CLUE what I am writing about for my thesis. And bonus: I can continue it on into my PhD, so there's TWO decisions made in 30 mins! All it took was a half-hour conversation with my prof. :) WOOT!

So I am not taking the magic realism route this year. I have decided to propose a research project on the history of fiction. This will be more theoretically founded than I am used to, but since it's my theory prof who suggested it, I will take his word for it that I am capable of that level/style of writing. The ultimate goal is to write on the history of irish historical fiction for my PhD. again, WOOT! So nothing to do with my original thought, but this I not only think/know I CAN do, I am also really excited about it and not stressed when I think about it! :)

I just thought I would share. I am hoping to apply to USask with this, but its doubtful I will get in since they don't have a strong irish research faculty. Did I tell you I was planning to apply to USask for my PhD? I hope I did! It will be an interdisciplinary proposal between english & history. We'll see! I am also applying to Notre Dame (longshot, but MUST be done b/c of their prestige and centre for irish studies... and then U South Carolina-Columbia and Colorado U-Boulder for comparative literature, which will not follow in this vein. Maybe I will go magic realism on those proposals... hmmm...)

Tell me your thoughts...

2 comments:

  1. how can you tie in history into a PhD when you haven't taken any history classes (at least in recent years)? Not that I doubt your ability to research, but are English and history similar enough that you can apply your skills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - I talked with USask history profs about that and they think I can! :) My comparative literature has all been historical & cultural research through literature, and this idea of the history of fiction, or history as a form of fiction is not far from what I've been doing. Just a different, more theoretica (and yet more practical), less vague spin on things...

    ReplyDelete